For the uses you describe, I'd think you'd be happy with a 8-10K winch. I've done a lot of stuff with my 8K Warn, unstuck a 12K forklift a few times, pulled my skid steer out of a couple of good holes, etc. I've also stalled it when I got the toyota stuck deep enough...

There is no way I could do the removable/hitch mounted deal. I'd never have it when I needed it. I'd go behind the bumper.

I was all excited about the synthetic rope thing until my buddies talked me out of it. They had broken lots of synthetic and all switched back to steel. I left the steel on my Warn. It can be a painful reminder to wear gloves, but it hasn't broken on me.

Last year I added a 4K winch to the back of the toyota. Its a tiny little thing that I added mainly to run a gin pole setup, but I used it a bit as just a winch. It came with synthetic rope and a wireless remote and it was like $150 on ebay. Applied with a little judgement, it will pull the yota out of pretty good mud hole. Haven't broken the rope yet, but have not abused it either. Wireless remote is so handy I am planning to get one for the other winch. Something to think about.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cwh2; 03/12/19.