Originally Posted by saddlesore

There is no reason you have to take it off if you don't want to.It' is only more versatile.Front mount behind the bumper and you lose the capability to pull from the back.

My DD truck needs to allow for a snow plow, needs to allow parking in retarded Anchorage, and needs to let me tow stuff on the weekends. If I ever stick a winch on the front it will be a behind the bumper deal. If I have to pull it off to plow, I'm unlikely to put it on later to most likely not get used and bang into stuff the rest of the time.

My trail rig,
[Linked Image]
I just can't imagine the fun of pulling a winch off the front, slogging it to the back, digging out a spot to allow me to get it into the receiver in the rear and plugging it in, all just to not get where I was going in the first place. Fairly rare here to have a truly "dual purpose" vehicle. There is just very little middle ground between pavement and swamp here IME. I realize that's not the case everywhere, and for some folks the receiver mounted winch makes a lot of sense. It just doesn't for me.