Originally Posted by vapodog
The 6.5-06 has something the others don't.....a very large pile of 270 and .30-06 brass sitting in buckets all over the country.....that's an advantage that is hard to ignore.....and just might be the reason no one makes ammo for it.....it won't sell well with all the "free" brass out there.

But let's be practical....what do we get from a 6.5-06 (regardless of twist) that we don't get from a .25-06 or even the venerable old.270?....and I mean advantages that the "run of the mill" hunter can actually make use of!

yea, yea, yea.....I know.....since when did practicality have anything to do with it? I have used the 6.5 X 55, the .260 Rem, and the .264 Win Mag.....and frankly haven't seen any real advantage one over the other in the field.

I have to hand it to Hornady.....seems their marketing folks could sell ice cubes to eskimos!

Well said.

It's exactly what some of those who don't guffaw over the Creedmoor have stated; most hunters or shooters wont and can't use it to any greater advantage than a 25/06 or 270 and going to lighter bullets for less recoil isn't going to make two bits worth under the ranges most are comfortable with.

In one anecdote the 6.5-06 will best the 6.5 Creedmoor for velocity with the same bullets at similar recoil levels, but in another it hasn't been introduced commercially because it offers little over available cartridges. Pretty convoluted.