Originally Posted by northcountry
Dirtfarmer Kool looking rifle for the era, with all the right items, very neat. Cheers NC

Thanks. Here some more photos and details.

I picked up this '50's vintage 98 FN action here on the Classifieds, in the white, all the work already done. Buyer had bought it at a gunshow, didn't know the history, who did the work, but it was top notch. The three panel bolt handle, welded to perfection. The swing safety is two, not three position. The Canjar trigger hasn't been made for many years.

I had JKob fit the barrel, alter the safety to not lock the bolt. I got a Classic McWoody Edge before McM quit offering marble finishes without black backgounds on Edge stocks, as the black carbon shell sometimes showed through. McWoody has a brown background, so until they change that rule, there evidently will be no more Edge McWoody stocks.

I had to send the gun to McM for fitting, as there are so many Mauser variations. I can make alterations, but not with the McWoody finish. That increased the cost a bit, but not that bad. I lucked up with an unusualy nice McWoody pattern. I have three McWoody stocks, this one with the fanciest grain pattern.

The Conquest 2.5-8x32 in Talley rings is a nice match for the gun, which required med heigth rings for the straight bolt handle to clear the ocular.

Add the blued 23" #2 Shilen and this is the finished product. This Swede loves the 139 Scenar, doesn't do as well with lighter bullets. It's a bit more finicky than my 6.5 Creed; the Creed shoots about anything MOA, with loads it likes, sub-MOA. The Swede is more selective on its sub-MOA loads, not as generous as the Creed. But, I'll take the 139 Scenar and run with it without feeling handicapped... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/31/19.