That's one of the reasons I'd do a 6.5-.270 if ever building another "6.5-06." The other is that I got better accuracy when necking .270 brass down than necking .25-06 up, because that avoids the small "donut" at the base of the neck, due to the thicker brass at the top of .25-06 shoulders becoming part of the 6.5-06 neck. But I doubt there's another 6.5-06 in my future, since my 6.5 PRC shoots so well, both with handloads and factory ammo.

Despite all the debate over various 6.5 cartridges today, there are real reasons for the popularity of newer 6.5 rounds. One is consistent chamber throats, which vary considerably in older rounds like the 6.5x55, even in modern rifles (which is why 6.5x55 factory ammo varies considerably). Which is why I had the custom 6.5x55 pictured above chambered with a slightly shorter throat than SAAMI standard.

Then there's the .260: Even some factory rifles have magazines that won't handle some "standard" hunting bullets seated to the lands. Which is why my .260 has a customized magazine 2.95 inches long.

Yeah, I know nobody on the Campfire admits to using factory ammo, but one reason for the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity is excellent (and relatively inexpensive) factory ammo that can be purchased almost anywhere, including Wal-Marts and even the local ranch-supply store in my little Montana town. Or even South Africa. One of my African PH friends owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, and reports around 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors. One of my American friends (a Campfire member) who hunts Africa every year reports the same thing from other store owners.

Which brings up problems with resuscitating the 6.5-06 a factory round. First, it's still primarily a wildcat, even with the A-Square adventure, and gunsmiths who build wildcats often have their own ideas about chamber-throat conformation, which would make producing factory ammo somewhat problematic. Two, with all the factory 6.5's already on the market, including some selling very well, why would any rifle manufacturer bother taking the risk?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck