Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
jwall- did you bed that Black Shadows stock or shoot it as is?

Jim, the short answer is no, I didn't bed it.

I found and bought the gun at a Pawn Shop on Saturday afternoon , OPENING DAY of our deer season. I went straight to WM and bought-- yep Fed Blue Box 300 WM 180s, 2 boxes. That night I checked the action screws and all was tight. I checked the scope and the bases were loose.
I cleaned and tightened the bases and rings.

On Monday @ 1:00 pm I checked for accuracy. The first 4 shots were wadded up, not one ragged hole but LESS than 1 ". I then adjusted the scope. It tracked perfectly, 1 adjustment and horizontal was good, 1 adjustment and vertical was good.
Mon. evening I went back to WM and bought 3 more boxes of the same Lot #. That gave me 100 rounds of brass.

On TUESDAY AM that 10 pt came out of the thicket at 180 yds. 1 shot and he was out of sight. He traveled @ 30-35 yds.

I killed 3 or 4 deer with it and THAT same ammo. EVERY bullet fragmented and some did NOT exit. I simply pulled those S H C bullets and seated 180 HSPs. END of problem. I hunted the Black Shadow exclusively 08-- 09-- 10. You can see THE exit hole on the 2nd pic in 2010.

In August I tested the 165 HBTSP. 4 shots

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a NICKEL or 3/4" O D. So...... "If it Ain't Broke.........."

All I've done since is put a GOOD 4-12X40 scope on it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!