Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
3" is a little short for the 6.5x55, one reason it's primarily a favorite among rifle loonies who "build" custom rifles.

Mine is on a commercial FN 98 action, with a pretty short-throated chamber and 3.35" magazine box, which leaves plenty of room for any bullet.

Might also mention that no, the 6.5x55 doesn't have anywhere near the powder capacity of the 6.5-06--around 16% less, depending on the throat, brass, etc. So its capable of about 100 fps less at the same pressures, with the same bullets.

But as I've pointed out elsewhere, most handloaders tend to be obsessed with adding another 100 fps (or more) of muzzle velocity. But with "standard" spitzer soft-points, that advantage diminishes rapidly out where the deer and antelope play. For some hunters, it makes more sense to add 100+ fps out where the bullet actually lands on 'em.

I've always thought that 100 FPS doesn't makes a dang bit of difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What still puzzles me is just how many FPS do matter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.