I have a friend that has been using an old BDL .264 Mag since the late 70's. He rarely shoots more than a box a year, maybe less. He never hunts where he doesn't have to shoot over 300yds, mostly its under 100. Back in the mid-80s, I worked him up an accurate load with the Speer 140 going (by the book's data, no chrono) right at 3000fps ( .270 territory) he killed deer/hogs with them. I moved off and afterward another friend loaded the Nosler 140 Partition for him ( same speed) . Now he just uses factory ammo. His barrel is 24", of course, and if a 26" made a difference in his conditions, I don't think any of us could tell it, ha. I'm thinking its only beyond 500 yds or so it would come into its own. Most deer leases in East, Texas don't have those kinds of terrain. You might "see that far" down a pipeline ROW, etc, but its either brushy or otherwise unsafe to fling one down there. Even here in Utah, sure, some places you can strain a rifle barrel, but no real need to. For instance, even the prairie has dips/gullies, etc that can be used to stalk closer. Being a tall man, I never had trouble with a 26" barrel and 22" feels like a carbine to me, ha. 24" is a good compromise for me. My current Mod 700 .270 is a 22", but I wish it were 24", like my .338. I've even had 26" barreled rifles with a 2 1/2 long brake on them! Now that seems long to me.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/19/19.