John I should have looked up the definition of "obsolete" before posting.I shoulda known better grin

I equate it with "useless"... blush obviously that's not correct I guess.I did read Terry's article and could not find any issue with it either.

I guess my point is that some otherwise excellent cartridges fall in and out of favor with the majority of shooters for reasons that have nothing to do with their merits...the 264 is one of them,as is the 280 Remington.

Both had the misfortune of bumping into the tidal wave of popularity known as the 7 Rem Mag,and had the 270 Winchester nipping at their heels with a 30+ year head start. All this means they lost the popularity battle,but it takes nothing away from their respective merits as BG cartridges....which was my central point, I think. smile

And since we have been in the smokeless era for over 100 years now,we see that with updated bullets, good rifles,and modern powders,even the old timers can make surprisingly good showings which was the reason for my reference to the old 7x57 and 30/06.

In any event the 264 is the only cartridge with which I have hit a rock at 1300 yards (on purpose),so it has my endorsement. smile

Hell I almost bought one the other day but decided to keep flinging 7mm bullets instead.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.