CCCC,

Notice that none of the definitions you list means "extinct," which is what others apparently think is the meaning of "obsolete"--including, it would seem, you.

That aside, my major point was wondering how siskiyou thought Terry was running down the .264 after saying: "Loaded with a 140-grain bullet, it was a dynamite performer in many ways."

Glad you find it amusing that I'm defending the article, but as noted in my post I've seen a lot of ignorant and even stupid Campfire comments on various magazine articles, often by people who never read the articles. I've also gotten a lot of ignorant and stupid letters. One, for instance, objected to the phrase "the subspecies of humans known by some as rifle loonies." This guy felt insulted by "subspecies," which he thought meant some very low form of animal. Personally, I would have round-filed his letter, but the editor of the magazine asked me to respond, so I did.

While I don't respond to every letter or post by people who somehow interpret "subspecies" as a pejorative, or "obsolete" as "the cartridge you're using is a POS" (especially right after the writer praised the cartridge) I do respond to some, and will continue to now and then. I hope you continue to find this amusing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck