Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jimmyp
any yet the ballistic gel and statistics say the "wounds are the same"! In addition a 22LR will kill a lot bigger animal than a 250 pounder if you hit it in the center.

In the center of what?

It has to be the brain and a .22 does nasty things there. My friend did penetration tests on a deer head and even a .17 pellet from his air rifle got in but not very deep. I had a neighbor in Ohio that came back from the war after being shot in the head from an 8MM Mauser. He survived but his faculties were a little off.
When I was a kid I got a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and every day I went into the fields to hunt birds. I was deadly and killed many to my regret today since I love my feathered friends. Then I found a rabbit was there and I learned if I shot him he would run just so so I would go where he would show up to shoot him again and again and again. One day I hit right and he went up with a jump and died. I did not know what to do with it so I took it to a ladies house and she went ballistic, made me wash with Fels Naptha soap because she said I could get rabbit fever. Reminds me of the net and calibers, velocity and energy figures. Many ask how much muzzle energy to kill such and such. None because it changes with distance and only energy in the kill zone works, Not before or after.
Now the AR in .223 might have been the worst war gun ever. Jungle fighting with thick brush and trees. Thousands of rounds expended for each kill. Like a nine you can carry more. Now the 30-06 tracer round could penetrate 2 feet of green oak let alone the solid bullet that will do better. No hiding behind a tree. The AK was much better. The greatest battle rifles were Mauser's from 6.5 up, Springfield, British Enfields, US Enfields and The M1 and M14. The best pistol was the 1911. Then everything was pussyfied. Girly men but not the troops, just what the politicians thought would work better. Shoot more and it is better when one shot does the job so the gun is never empty.
Hunt with a .223 for big game, do you ever eat meat?
John you need to remember these are net hunters and game players. Just a select few might have shot a man in the course of duty but many missed and died. Many also hit and died from inferior guns.
I went to my neighbor today to help jack
a porch roof up for a fix for a rotten post bottom. He has a .380 on him all day and a big dog in the house. I had a drink for thanks and went to leave and the door was locked. Why in the smolly holy hell am I locked in the house? My door is open and he comes in but when I go to his house he has to unlock the doors. I actually have to call him if I am going over.