I'd be interested in feedback on a rifle I'm having GA Precision put together. I've owned lots of rifles, but this will be my first foray into a custom build. It's driven by my inability to get exactly what I want over-the-counter...I'm sure some of you can relate. This will be a deer rifle first and foremost--primarily used in the mixed hardwood bottoms and open fields of south-central Georgia. I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands, so short and compact with good balance is a must. I’ve learned the expensive way that unnecessary weight and poor handling are not the way I want to go, so I’m looking for that elusive compromise between good handling and stability. This rifle will never be carried a long distance, so heaver than sporter weight is fine. I want a rifle I can practice with out to 600, but my hunting shots will be limited to 300-400 yards. The rifle should be legitimately capabile of 0.5 MOA or better, as I'm a handloader, and I like cutting tiny clusters on paper when I'm not hunting. On the bench, I’ll generally shoot off an Atlas bipod because I find it more stable than a traditional front rest. Here's what I'm thinking:

- #4 or #3B Bartlein contour fluted (cuz I like it) that finishes at 20-21” with a recessed target crown.

- Barrel should be threaded so that I can add a Surefire muzzle brake (later, if I choose).

- Caliber is 308 Winchester. Why? Because I find it stupid easy to load for, and I'm heavily invested in that caliber. Barrel life is forever, downrange energy is good for hunting, and it does well in a short barrel. As for twist rate, either 1:10 or 1:11.25...I generally shoot 165-168s and long 175-178s (e.g. Game Changers, Accubond LR). I want to be able to shoot all the 175-178s up to 185 Juggernauts without worrying about stability under ANY conditions (keep in mind, 20-21" barrel and hot, humid, sea-level). I'm leaning toward 1:10, but tell me if I'm wrong.

- GAP Templar Hunter action (allows top-loading) and PTG Short Action Oberndorf or Badger M4 bottom metal. Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

- Manners EH6 (carbon fiber) with a 1” Pachmeyer Decelerator pad. I could be talked into another stock (like the EH-2 or EH-4) if the EH-6 forearm can't accomodate a bipod rail. I think the EH-1 is too bulky for what I'm trying to do here.

- No mini-chassis for this stock...traditional pillars and bedding.

- Drilled and tapped 8x40 for a 20 MOA picatinny rail. Scope will likely be a VX-6HD 2-12x42, as I can get it very low, and I'm not sure you can get better optics for the weight. I like the NF 4-16x42 F1, but it's HEAVY, and I don't need it for this gun.

- Two sling studs up front to accomodate the picatinny rail, but likely flush cups elsewhere.

- PTG 700 Short Action Oberndorf style bottom metal.

- Probably a Timney Calvin Elite or Jewel trigger. Would love the bolt to lock when safety is engaged (if possible).

- If I could keep it close to (or under) 9 pounds before optics, I’d be a happy camper!

Balance, weight, and handling are "king," but tell me what I'm not thinking about! Honestly, the only other caliber I'd consider is 7mm-08, and I like the downrange energy of the .308 at the ranges I'll be shooting. I'm in a trophy club with strict rules/fines, so you really can't shoot 'em any further than you can field score them. Because of this, hunting shots beyond 300-400 just aren't in the cards for this gun. For mountain hunting, long range, and other specialty situations I have other rifles. I plan to go with GAP becuase of their reputation and because their customer service is top notch. I know there are other smiths out there that build excellent rifles, but I think I'm settled on GAP.

Thank you!

Chris