This is a sample of one, as I said at the outset. After some months, and the two deer, I noticed my string was getting very close to the bumpers on the limbs. The solution is to put some twists in the string. I already had the stringer required. It took about as long for me to find and watch the video instructions as to actually do it. I hunt about 20 minutes from my home, but imagine how you'd handle a problem with the string or cables if you were using a compound that requires a press and maybe a technician for such work and were hunting out in the sticks someplace. I carry everything needed in my trunk, so a whoopsie can be fixed quickly and I can get back to "work".

The crank for the Matrix line is pricey, and I decided to go without it at first. Didn't take me long to decide to pony up the $230. It's built really well, and makes practice or target shooting a breeze, not a workout. They claim 12lbs of cocking effort. With the rope, my bow takes 130 pounds of awkward-angle tugging to cock. Pretty easy decision for an old fat man to make. Young strong fellers can likely do without, but I hate back pain. Since I also hate lugging a bunch of crap around in the woods, the rope goes in my pack, not the crank, even though I may have to climb out of a tree to use it.

I bought my bow off Amazon. They have good prices, and the dealer upgraded the scope to Excalibur's top model. If it craps, I'll probably get the very nice Hawke. I also am toying with the idea of going with a red dot zeroed at 30 yards to lighten the load and make the package smaller. Although I didn't use it, holders of the Amazon Store Card can buy pricey items with a 12-month, no interest plan.

What fresh Hell is this?