I've always taken a moment to reflect on the fact that I've taken a life and to appreciate the animal or it's involuntary sacrifice, if not overtly thanking it. Have taught my girls to do the same.

Fist bumps? No, never. We shake hands and hug.

Whisper and close close the doors softly? Often - but depends on where we are. Not much point when you're hunting elk in the sage and can literally see far further than voices or door slams would carry. (Miles in some cases.)

Hunting shows, as a rule, turn me off, but so do many gun rag articles about hunting, especially when they claim they took a shot because they couldn't get closer. "They" as in hunter, guide(s) and camera and sound crew. Hell, no wonder they can't get closer.

For me it is kind of like my relationship with pro sports. Enjoyed sports as a kid when I played them but never could get excited about watching them. Pro football is the lone exception and even then I'm an unabashed fair-weather fan and very selective. Used to know several players and wife taught a couple (including Roger Craig), so we watched their teams when we could. We do watch the Broncos, but on DVR delay so we can skip the commercials. Bronco's Sunday is a great day to go to the range.

I don't care that the hunting videos are made, although I have no respect for the methods and actions of some of the people in them. Nor do I care if people watch them. I have better things to do. I'm more likely to read an article in the gun rags, but even those I often skip.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.