I’ve noticed a few “interesting” things while watching Outdoor Channel, Pursuit Channel, Sportsmans Channel, etc.

Of course, we should start with “a bit far back,” “smoked him,” “I tell you what,” "That's what I'm talking about," and “harvest.”

Hunter drops an elk with a spine shot, and the guide says, “Great shot!” Didn’t the hunter accidentally hit it a foot high?

Whispering the range to the shooter with unnecessary precision: “He’s 213.6 yards away.”

Lowering the rifle from the shoulder between shots. (One TV hunter lowered the butt of his shotgun almost to his KNEES before he racked the slide for a follow-up shot.)
Not knowing the difference between horns and antlers.

FIVE people (shooter, guide, main cameraman, host, and second cameraman) “sneaking” in on an animal and then wondering why it spooked.

Hunters stuffing an ENTIRE elk leg (bones and hide all the way to the hoof!) into their packs and hiking five miles back to camp instead of taking a few minutes to skin/debone and greatly reduce the humpage factor.

“Bolt actions recoil less than semi-autos because they have fewer moving parts.”

“You can get an AR-15 in .308 Winchester.”

Says “It’s 180 yards, but I have complete confidence in my XYZ muzzleloader,” goes prone, and manages a complete miss. (And his target wasn’t a ground squirrel; it was a freakin’ brown bear!)

Superfluity: “We need to sneak in undetected without being seen.”

On one of those long-range hunting shows they shoot 780 yards at a nice Sitka buck, and you can clearly see the vapor trail. When the bullet is halfway to the buck, he starts to move forward. By the time the slug arrives, the buck has moved 4-6”. Fortunately, it’s still a fatal hit, and the buck drops after stumbling 70-80 yards. Hunter says they are “all out of gas, so we’ll pick it up in the morning.” When they arrive on scene next morning, Mr. Buck’s belly seemed bloated, so I hope they were able to salvage the meat.

Hunter and guide see a bear on a far-away hillside. Although they had plenty of cover to approach to within 200 yards, they elect to shoot from 828 yards with their super-duper long distance rifle. “Hunter” shoots TWO FEET over the bear’s back.

Dreadful grammar:
“I’ve did it before.”
“A doe had came out of the woods.”
“We seen the elk…”
“I had just went to my stand…”
“We done hiked twelve miles…”
“I come up the hill…”
“We was just getting into position…”
“Him and I drove to the farm…”
“Where you at?”
“Me and him were really looking forward to this hunt.”
“He’d only ran 50 yards before expiring.”
“I’ve drew too soon on incoming bucks many times.”
“We’d saw some coyotes in the field.”
“They might’ve saw us.”
“I could’ve tooken that buck, but he was bit too small.”

Ludicrous misuse of the word “literally”:
“My stomach was literally tied in a knot.”
“The buck came to us literally on a string.”
“My heart literally jumped out of my chest.”
“The buck literally walked on top of us.”
“The deer literally turned itself inside out as it escaped.”
“My head literally exploded when I muffed the shot.”
“The bull literally vanished into thin air.”
“We were literally sitting ducks.”
“Missing that deer literally turned my world upside down.”
“We were literally actually right on top of him.”
“The deer were literally hammering the soybeans.”
“Chasing that deer was literally a roller coaster ride.”

All that said, I like shows by Shockey, Rinella, and a few others.

Last edited by Wyodogger; 07/17/19.