Yep!

But Brad's career was as the general outdoor writer for a major newspaper, not as a gun/hunting writer. He likes what he likes.

Jack was a gun/hunting writer, and not just a journalist but a journalism professor. Back in his day the .270 Winchester was, to a certain extent, a really radical change from the conventions of the day. I have several shelves full of gun magazines and books going back to before 1900, and in many ways the .270 was the 6.5 Creedmoor of its day. The traditionalists preferred the .30-06 (and even bigger rounds) because the bullets of the day sometimes didn't stand up to .270 velocities.

O'Connor, on the other hand, recognized the virtues of the .270, and eventually through actual experience realized it's advantages over the .30-06 for certain purposes--along with the 7x57, often the choice of a "sub-.30" big game cartridge for .30-06 advocates, because its similar velocities worked similarly to the .30-06. He was also among the first gun writers to experience and write about the advantages of the Nosler Partition, and various other innovations, when other gun writers did not.

I suspect Jack O'Connor, being a journalist (who therefore felt it necessary to try a lot of stuff as part of his job) would today try the 6.5 Creedmoor, along with other new cartridges--and rifles, scopes and bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck