Originally Posted by ChetAF
One thing you have to remember, old guys that like Jack O'Connor and the scopes and rifles he used do so because we are 'nostalgic' and traditionalists. Jack himself was an innovator and early adopter.

He bought his first 270 in a Model 54 the first year either were available. He used scopes when other people thought they were delicate toys that were 'unethical'. He was an early user of Partition bullets and hand loaded his own ammo when, as he himself said, handloaders were considered 'dangerous nuts' that were apt to blow themselves up.

When he wanted a new 270, he didn't track down some 70 year old action like we do. He went to Erb's Hardware, bought a current production rifle off the shelf, and had it restocked.

Since 117 year old guys tend to be pretty set in their ways, I suspect Jack would like the same stuff if he were still around. Hard to say what a 40 year old Jack would like if he were here today.

He may prefer a Barrett Fieldcraft with a Nightforce compact for all we know.

I'm glad to know more about you thru this thread. Thanks.

IMO you have made an honest appraisal and comparison based on the Past & Present.
Nearly 100 yrs ago, 1925 or so, NO ONE had the options available that we have today. Who says 'those' were the good ole days?

Not to mention I think you are right. wink grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!