I think peoples definition of what a "verbal altercation" might be differ somewhat.

If you were to ask me this question, I'd say I never do, I avoid conflicts like the plague...in my opinion anyway.

But I've been told by friends that I am real bad about it.

I think they confuse me speaking my mind in a given situation for being aggressive or something.

I had a guy bring it up just the other day, he was like "dude, I couldn't believe you you did that."

We'd pulled into my bank at about 10:30 pm to hit the ATM, two guys were just sitting there in a pickup.
I told my friend to keep an eye on those guys, people hanging out at ATM's after dark is just a pet peeve of mine. Sure enough right after I get a hand full of cash they both got outta their truck and started approaching me. They asked me for a pen at about 15 feet away but were still approaching. I went off, gave hell for hanging at an ATM and then waiting for me to conclude my transaction before approaching me.

Told them to back the F off and get back in their truck. They did....

I don't see that as a real "verbal altercation", I was just speaking my mind.
My friend felt it was over the top outta line...go figure....

Most the time it's just been me telling a manager at a restaurant or store that their food or service sucks. How is a business owner suppose to know if you don't tell them?