10% is a general starting point then we go up or down from there. If my guide worked his tail off and gave me a fantastic hunt to think about for years to come I have no problem tipping. I've also found that some guides, especially some of the younger ones really appreciate gifts. My buddy and I had a guide that was awesome. During the hunt we got to know a bit about him, just married and starting a family and so on. He really wanted better equipment but said tips usually went to the household needs. He got us on some really nice 6x6's so my buddy gave him a nice tip in cash and I made a trip to the store and picked up a nice Vortex spotting scope and window mount he had mentioned a couple of times. Thought he was going to hug me.

On last years trip I had another younger guide. Tough hunt, animals weren't moving and so on. Again, he worked his rear end off for 5 days to get me on a shooter. I noticed he had really admired my new Leica range finder so I gave him a choice of cash for a tip or the range finder. He gladly accepted the range finder.

Whether I tip with cash or a gift, for the last couple of years I've given my guide one of the Outdoor Edge or Havalon knifes with an extra pack of replacement blades. They're inexpensive and have been really appreciated. The orange ones so they can find them where they set them down in the grass easier. I'd be curious to know just how many skinning knifes have been left or lost in the field after dressing animals.

And ALWAYS tip the cook. Like others have mentioned, they work too and it's cheap insurance. You might end up coming back some day and cooks have memory's.