Originally Posted by Tom338
I felt sorry for the last guide I had. My now X partner treated him like a low class person. This nice young 25 year old tried his hardest to get us on elk and my partner screamed at him a couple times. Guide also put his onto a 370 class bull but he failed to get it done. Then partner got pissed when I shot a cow. That guide got a nice tip from me but nothing from my x partner. Thats why he's my x partner, what an a hole. Treat your guides nice!!! However the owner of the outfitting business was an a hole himself and a liar. Guide moved on also because of it. Hunting is just that---hunting---not killing. Go in with a good attitude and be in the BEST SHAPE you can be AND THEN DO BETTER. Help your guide as much as you can, he will return the favor. My then guide told me his best most favorite clients were guys who helped with the small stuff and were in shape, didn't bitch and were just happy to be there. He said he felt bad when someone gave him 250 dollars and he knew the guy couldn't really afford it and didn't even get a chance at an elk and then some rich out of shape blowhard showed up in camp got lucky killed a nice bull and left 50 bucks. I always try to put my self in their shoes and tip accordingly. But right now I do the DIY hunts, as I get to old to do it myself and need to do the guided route I hope to remember my words and treat my guides accordingly. If I don't I hope I get tag soup

This is spot on....as a former guide, myself.
I never worked for the tip, just loved it. Clients ranged all over the map, if they were fit and a good companion both of us enjoyed it.
The guide is responsible for setting the tone in spike camp, letting the hunter make the decisions would never work. Tough some times