Been hunting deer hunting for 50 years now. Have not used the 243 for deer until the last 5 years, and still hunt with the 308 and 270 quite a lot. But have managed to take 3 deer in those 5 years with the 243. 2 medium size and last season, the biggest buck I have taken to date.

3 deer, 3 different slugs. Federal blue box on one, Speer GS on one and Hornady BTSP on the big guy, all 100 gr slugs. Handloaded the Speer and Hornady, Fed was a factory load. 1 higher shoulder shot, required a finisher, others just behind front leg about 1/4 up from bottom of deer.

My observations,. All deer died within 75 yards. Did not see any of them drop. Much smaller blood trails and none at impact site, about 25 yards before they started leaking. All 3 bullets exited, none exhibited the size holes I get with larger rounds. I do my own butchering and the internal damage is simply less, as I would expect.

I have dropped many deer in their tracks or very short distance with rounds like 270, 308 etc. My sample of 3 is indeed small, but the results are exactly what I expected. That said I like the round and will continue to use it, but it simply does not provide the effect the larger rounds do.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 07/30/19.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!