No flame, just a thought or two, based on my own limited experience.

"Right behind the leg", depending on the vertical placement, can have widely varying effects, and to my mind the most important one has to do with the blood trail. Hits above the center line, even pass-throughs, can result in little or no blood trail for a good many yards because there's not enough blood to reach the hole(s), and what does come out has to trickle down through the hair unless the deer rubs against something or it gets blown out by the deer's breathing. Pass-throughs usually cause some spatter and hair sign, but that isn't always easy to find without snow. I always try to keep my shots right about at the top of the heart so either the heart and/or the big blood vessels get mashed and the blood trail starts almost immediately. My lone experience with the SPH was an adult doe shot in the heart at 100 yards. The bullet didn't exit, but she only went about 20 yards, and leaked pretty good. An almost identical hit on a small buck with a 100gr NP blew on through, and he went maybe 35 yards. I prefer the NP because broadsides aren't always offered. The PH is just a bit too soft to suit me as an all-around deer bullet, at least in .243.

A hit "right behind the leg" at 40 yards with a 130gr Hornady FB .270, at just about half-way up the chest, failed to exit, and I found no blood at all, only a dead buck after trailing it by the disturbance in the leaves for 100-150 yards. It was raining pretty steadily, and the only sign of a hit was some hair knocked off the far side of his chest where the bullet hit but failed to exit. The only reason I stuck it out was that I couldn't believe I'd missed him that close. Perfect mushroom, total destruction of the lungs, but no blood till he fell in a little pool of water.

What fresh Hell is this?