Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
You are going to have to tighten up on choke to get the same pattern density at the same range as, say, 8's..

Originally Posted by battue

And finally, I am quite comfortable shooting a Mod choke for all Dove shooting, close or “well” beyond, and early or late season. I also could live with full. .

At least we are in "full" agreement on this (pun intended).

I have killed doves cleanly at 40 yards with 8's: "well beyond 30 yards". If it has been done even once, and it has, then there is no reason it cannot be done every time since I know the pellets are there. Therefore, when it doesn't happen, it is shooter failure. Beyond 40, I can't say much because I don't knowingly shoot beyond this. Certainly 6's retain more energy downrange so if you happen to hit a dove in an increasingly sketchy pattern, it might fall right out.

Of course one has to point the gun right and of course that is the biggest problem anyone has in wing shooting. But that's not what the thread is about.

No, I don't think you are shooting them coming in for a landing at 50 yards out. Do you think I'm shooting them from under the tree they are landing in? I was returning what I took to be hyperbole with more hyperbole. Sheesh.

Neither of us wants to shoot doves coming in for a landing at any range and neither of us wants to cripple birds. I choose to discipline myself to pass up shots where 7-1/2's or 8's aren't sufficient, using a light modified choke.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 08/12/19.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.