Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Larry Bird...

Don't hold it against me, but I came of age in the 80's as a huge Lakers fan. I hated everything about Boston, parquet floors, white towels, announcers who used bad grammar, Tommy Heinsohn, air conditioners that did not work in the visitors' locker room in June, and especially, Larry Bird.

Bird couldn't get his heels six inches off the ground at the same time. He couldn't run, jump, cut, was slow-footed on defense, was only a so-so dribbler, and looked like an anteater to boot.

Compared to the Laker thoroughbreds, the guy was Shrek in a pair of cement Converse.

Except ...

the SOB could shoot the rock, had great anticipation (regularly put on clinics on how to block out), and had icewater in his veins. I saw a documentary on TV recently in which opposing players told of Bird going into a timeout with seconds to play and the game on the line, and telling them on his way off the floor how he was going to come out of the timeout, and hit the winning shot from right THERE, and point to the spot.

And then he'd come out of the timeout, come around a pick, receive the pass right THERE, and drop the bomb.

I wouldn't choose Larry Bird to win any footrace, jumping contest, strength, speed, quickness agility, yada yada, as in he was not the most ATHLETIC dude around.

But ask me to put my money on the one white guy I'd want deciding things? That's easy. Larry was as clutch as clutch comes. He caused me a lot of heartburn back when I bled purple and gold.

I don't know if anyone ever did more with less than Bird. Much as I "hated" him then, he (and Magic) were sure fun to watch.

I agree with you almost compleatly....for me I rank him high on the list for just that...the ability to overcome his lack of athleticism with all the other tools...he competed in an environment stacked with hall of famers and they all feared him...
A famous coach said....sorr can't remember who....but if choosing a player to take a shot to win a game it would be Jordan...if it had to save my life it would be bird...those old laker Celtic games were the best...
Just imagine if you dropped bird and manic in today's NBA...they would reek havoc..
Makes me wonder how say Babe Ruth would fare against today's pitching...or hitters...