Originally Posted by las
If F&G wants to knock that herd down or slow the growth (and piss everyone off) why, just make it a cows only season. Limit of two, or maybe 3.
Won't happen - "game management" is at least 50% people/political management, and hang what's good for the game.

The other thing they need to do is change that bullchit regulation about bringing the jawbone out in case "we ask for it at a check station. If we don't ask, we don't want it".

Either they do or they don't - no "maybe we do, maybe we don't - we can't decide...." If they want it, I'm happy to oblige.

There were a (surprising to me) number of people who hauled ass out of there with gutted, unskinned whole animals opening afternoon, a hot day in high 60's maybe low 70"s. Only a few hours back to Fairbanks. But still... I calculated that there was little chance of getting that skin off within 6 hours of the kill, minimum- probably more.

F&G didn't want to look at his (or any) kill already in the game bags. Wonder what they were checking for?

Simple enough to put a yea or nay on their hotline (last updated 9 days before opener) info on the jawbone thing. If they CAN make up their mind.

Managing caribou is difficult at best and F&G puts a lot of effort and money into the 40 Mile Herd. Unfortunately, it is an international agreement with Canada;s Yukon Territory and there's a pile of arbitration goes on. The only thing more difficult to manage is the hunter.