My wife's folks had a cabin in a Forest Service lease on Eagle Lake near Susanville CA. Had it for 40 years. They would go up there every weekend in the summer and work on the cabin. Next weekend, work on the cabin. On and on, always something that "had to be done". They passed away and the grandson sold it. Good riddance.

My wife and I had 100 acres near Atlantic City WY, we had a beautiful 10 acre patch of thick aspens where we built a one-unit RV park, complete with gravel pad and sewer dump. had my own 100 yard shooting range. Had a 34 foot 5th wheel with solar for power, we just left it up there all summer, it was our cabin in the mountains, , we would bring it down in the winter so we didn't have to worry about it. Never had any breakins in 28 years, nor did any of the other people on that particular mountain. Had to sell the whole shebang this spring due to health concerns, lot of tears shed over that deal.

Anyway, I would never build a cabin, too dang much trouble keeping it up. The trailer worked just fine for us.
We have people moving in here from California and the East Coast who buy 5 acres outside of town and build a palatial 6000 square foot log home which they ostentasously call their "cabin" any time they are talking to the locals. eek

[Linked Image]