Here in Kommiefornia, and in some other states I've lived in, "baiting" is defined as such.

It is unlawful to:

Knowingly feed big game animals. (please tell that to the folks down the road that always have deer hanging around there place in the winter. I think they dump 50lb sacks of birdseed in a trough and call it bird feeding. Friggen deer in the road every night in winter)

Take game birds and mammals within 4000 yards of any baited area. This does not apply to the taking of game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, croplands, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural operations or procedures.

Take bears within 400 yards of any garbage dump or bait.

I'm not sure a food plot would be legal here, as a food plot just for attracting deer would likely be considered baiting. Now, it a person planted turnips and such, and harvest some, and left the bad ones, that might be considered normal agricultural operations. Or if one hunted over the standing "crop" of turnips.

Not really an issue here, as most folks don't hunt like they do in a hardwood forest back east.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?