Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Sectional density (by itself) isn’t worth spit, therefore it can’t be ‘king’ of anything. Sectional density can only ever matter if every other characteristic of the bullet is properly matched for the game...... otherwise (to use your own agenda) shoot FMJs and tell us how awesome that high SD is for dead animals. I get it: you’re an SD true believer. However, good bullet construction can overcome low SD. High SD can’t overcome bad bullet construction.

Low sectional density can't overcome bad bullet construction either!

High sectional density bullets on average if of equal construction and velocity penetrate further than low sectional density bullets. Fortunately there are many great bullets of excellent construction to choose from today. A low sectional density bullet can be made to penetrate just as far and even cause much greater tissue, heart and lung damage, bust bones etc however it does come at a cost of much heavier recoil.

IME there are two things that are required to kill game and they are terminal damage and shot placement. Shot placement must be correct to inflict enouph terminal damage in the right area to take game so I would consider shot placement to be the most important of the two.

A high sectional density low recoil round that will sufficiently penetrate to reach vital areas whether it be heart and lungs or a CNS shot will kill game 100% of the time "IF" the shot is placed correctly including a full metal jacket performing a CNS shot

A low sectional density high recoil round cannot overcome a badly placed shot

I am simply offering the counter argument as to whether shot placement is the most important element or is terminal performance most important and do these lower recoil rounds provide an ample supply of terminal performance with some of todays finely constructed bullets?

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/21/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field