The truth is that everyone is concerned about S.D., whether we think about it consciously or not. We learn about S.D at a very early age, even if we don't have a name for it or numerical values to compare. Kids know they can throw a marble farther than they can a grape or the Ace of Spades.

It wouldn't bother me to shoot antelope with a 55g .22 (S.D. .157), but I wouldn't consider it with a 55g .58 caliber (S.D. .023, assuming one existed). A bullet with that S.D. and weight would have to be going VERY fast to get past fur.

That said, using S.D. to compare the capabilities of bullets of similar size and shape but radically different construction is problematic at best. Over the years I've had lots of bullets pass through game and recovered others. We've been using TTSX since they came out, for antelope to elk, but we have never recovered a single one - regardless of weight, caliber, impact velocity or angle (broadside to lengthwise).

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.