Nice rifles, DF.

Unless things have changed, both CZ and Winchester use the same barrel profile from 375 to 458. Obviously their rifles in 458 were lighter and IMO handled better. In 458 the barrels were about right and you really wouldn’t want them any lighter.

The CZ is a heavier and longer action but in a big calibre you will be putting more weight between the hands, which is where you want it for better handling. When mine is complete (still needs stock work) I expect it will end up around 9lbs without a scope, which I think is fine for a 458.

The CZ has a larger mag capacity and longer mag as well, its 3.8” long vs 3.6” for the M70 in a Lott. This gives you the option to use a Lee FCD to load to a longer LOA and exceed factory specs or reduce pressure, if you want to. You can also increase the length and capacity of the M70’s magazine if you want to go down that route.

The American style stock on the CZ’s is a bit oversized in nearly every dimension but there is enough wood there to have a competent stock maker slim it down to fit you properly. It’s worth mentioning that there was a factory synthetic stock option that really felt and handled well if you’re happy to go that way.

There are other areas to look at but these are the main areas to consider.

Last edited by JFE; 09/23/19.