Here's a post by John Barsness from the Ask the Gunwriter forum that kind-of addresses your question:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
These days I'd still go with a similar NULA (the .30-06 has a #2 contour 24" barrel) but might go with the .280 Ackley Improved. It basically gets .30-06 muzzle velocities with the same-weight bullets, but the 7mm bullets have somewhat higher ballistic coefficients, so drift less in the wind. There are so many good bullets these days it would be hard to pick one, but as in .30 there are plenty to play with. Would probably go with a high-BC 162-168 grain for a basic all-around bullet, paired with a stouter bullet in the same weight range for certain uses.

I recently put a 3-10x42 Nightforce SHV with their new Forceplex reticle on the .30-06, which looks to be a good compromise for a hunter who usually doesn't shoot at long range, but might stretch a shot a little longer now and then. The Forceplex is a more visible in dark timber than many thin-lined "ballistic" reticles.

But the reality is that I'm probably never going to get rid of the .30-06. Have taken more big game with it than any other rifle over the 21 years since it showed up, and not only does it have plenty of memories, but it still shoots extremely well, and the .30-06 isn't all that different from the .280 AI.

Plus, I have a bunch of other rifles that will be headed down the road as my work schedule slows down over the next decade or so. Don't plan on ever totally retiring. What would I do? Go hunting? But have already started cutting back some.

And here's a link to the full discussion:

CLICK HERE

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA