Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have read this, twice actually and am still not sure how to apply the information in the deep south.

I am going to kill a deer in the morning in 30-40 degree temps with afternoon temps in the 50-60 range or I am going to kill one in the afternoon with temps in the 50-60s and night time temps in the 30-40s.

It sounds like it would be best for me to get the meat off the bone immediately. Is that correct?

If I don't do that, I don't have a cooler to hang a deer in. I could probably quarter it out and get the quarters on the bone in large ice chests and keep those ice chests cool for a while. Would that work?

If not that, what's the best route.

We moved from the Canadian border of NYS to South Carolina Low Country in July of this year. I have 5 deer tags in front of me right now. Other than the fact that our lives have been pretty busy adjusting to my wife's new job, my new job a new home, a new church and getting our younger kid through his last year of HS and into a good college, I haven't been pursuing it like I'd like to because I'm still a little uncertain as to what do do when I shoot a deer in the morning with temps in the mid 30's to high 40's and low 60's by noon. I've heard deer and hogs can be boned out, thrown on ice in a cooler, drain the water and put in new ice as necessary for a few days....guess I'll just have to jump off the deep end and give it a try.

Mathew 22: 37-39