Llamas are the easiest animals to train that I've ever used. If they're halter broke, saddle them. The 3d or 4th time you saddle them, they'll be broke. They do need conditioning. I use sandbags in the panniers and take them on hikes in the hills. A couple 5 milers a week for a few weeks and they'll show considerable improvement. I throw 10 to 20lb in my daypack as I hike so I get in shape, too.

You'll need to teach them to operate in a string. It'll take some trial and error to see which order works best. Some think that you put your best one in front. Wrong. That's where you put the trouble maker so you have him in hand. The best one can go on the rear. Some llamas just don't work in some orders. They'll fight or cause other problems. I used to have a female that HAD to go on the rear. She couldn't stand having anyone behind her, not even her own cria. She would constantly turn to fight whoever was behind her.

You need to learn to string them so you can get them apart in a hurry if you have a train wreck. I use these quick release buckles tied on the back of each saddle and a loop of paracord tied in a Prusik knot on the lead rope. The Prusik can be slid up or down the lead to easily adjust the lead length and is very easy to tie. It won't slip if you do it right. It works very well with these buckles. Google it if you don't know what it is.
They'll be wanting to eat as you go. Be sure the lead isn't so long that they can get a foot over it when they put their heads down to eat or drink.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com][Linked Image from trailmeister.com]

Llamas are known for their front feet breaking down. I've had to cull several of them. It's very hard to tell what they'll be like when they're young. The problems don't start until they're 4 or 5 old older. A llama with dropped pasterns will have sore feet and can't carry a load. There are a number of theories about why they break down. My theory is that it's genetic. If both parents have strong pasterns, most like the kid will, too. Buying a young llama without seeing both parents is a crap shoot. I've done it a number of times. I've won some and I've lost some. Right now I have 5 geldings with good feet but it took sometime to get them.
This 1st pic is ready to butcher. The 2d pic has good feet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you do get a bad one, don't just dump it. They're very good eating. They taste like beef but with almost no fat.

Feel free to ask me about anything else.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.