A misbehaving llama isn't nearly as serious as a horse or mule. They only average about 400lb and you're not riding it. They can be handled far easier. I still don't want more than 1 bad one in a string, though. I can easily handle 1 but not 2.
Around people, most llamas will stand off. They don't like to be touched. My 1 berserk one is in your face. He likes women especially. He will nuzzle them and get very friendly. On the trail, about everyone I meet wants to pet them and take pictures. He's good for PR because they think all llamas are very friendly like that. When they try to pet the others, they'll move away. Since I always have him in the lead, it's easy to let people pet him and I can restrain him if he gets too pushy.

The saddles have both chest straps and either britching or cruppers so they won't slide. Llamas have a high spine so sliding sideways normally isn't a problem with a reasonably tight cinch.

They don't have hooves. They have thick textured pads like a dog with 2 long toe nails. The nails will grip pretty well on slick stuff. They can get in and out of some really nasty country. Normally they don't kick but if one does, the soft foot doesn't hurt and rarely does any damage unless you get your head in the way. A kick is lightning fast, though. You won't see it coming.

A big problem on the trail is jumping. They normally jump over small creeks and logs. Since they're in a string, that can cause some real problems, even broken halters or lead ropes. One of the hardest parts of training is teaching them to step over stuff instead of jumping.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.