Agree with going with someone who knows about them a time or two. that’s how I did it about 20 years ago. I bought my own string in 2008. The advice I would add is that it is essential to spend a lot of time with them. Occasionally I will talk to someone who has the idea that you can take them on a hunting trip once a year and leave them alone in the pasture the rest of the time, or even put them on pasture away from home. I don’t think that would work. They are like any animal, the more time you spend with them the better behaved and responsive they will be. Take them on some packtrips over the summer, weekends are good and longer trips better.

My wife or I spend at least a little time with them every day, feeding if nothing else. Time spent brushing, touching legs and feet, putting halters on and off will pay off many times over. Mine will come running when I walk out to the pasture and call them...not because they love me and miss me but because that is the habit they have learned for feeding.