I keep reading that in order for scopes to track and dial well they need to be heavy - SWFA or Nightforce for example.

It seems to be taken as gospel, my question is - WHY???

I understand that a thicker aluminum tube may be more resistant to bending or bumping damage but dialing and tracking are a function of the mechanics of the scope.
If the internals are machined properly and have erector springs heavy enough to assure enough pressure on the erector tube to place and keep it in position how much could this possibly add to the weight of the scope? Even if the adjustment assembly were made slightly larger and the springs slightly larger how much weight could that add? Not more than another ounce or two I would think.

So why do we not have a lightweight scope like a Leupold that tracks as well as the old 1980's El Paso Weaver T series scopes? I doubt that there are any unexpired patents on the Micro-tract system - it seems to me that a Leupold with the Micro-tract system would be the best of all worlds.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.