Once you've solved the issue of your titanium galling on your pig iron and have an erector assembly capable of precise adjustments, now, and over time, you still have to hang it and mount the lenses so they stay where you want them, under repeated recoil and other outside impacts. That's going to require a certain amount of material to reliably hold screws or other fasteners and maybe adhesives that will hold up under the same forces and that don't break down and futz things up by running or depositing vapor where you don't want it, or letting little crumbs loose to gum up the works. At some point, clever engineering and exotic materials run you up against the unyielding wall of cost vs benefit and if you want people to actually buy your scope, not just marvel at it, you might just have to opt for heavy over tricky. Even very expensive scopes that have proven to be reliable are all pretty beefy, and I doubt it's because they skimped on materials or engineering, but rather because it's what's required. They certainly aren't concerned much with keeping the price down.

As buyers and users, we can keep the weight down by opting for simple designs sans giant turrets, side focus, illumination, and big honkin' objectives, most of which are of limited usefulness in putting meat in the freezer, which, if I can remember back that far, seemed to be what the OP was looking for. Even the simple models from outfits like S&B are pretty heavy I've noticed, which should tell us something.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/14/19.

What fresh Hell is this?