So, just to address a couple of the questions that have been asked with relevant information, rather than speculation.

"Why do they need 34mm tubes (or even bigger)". The reason that tube diameters are bigger is because a larger tube is stronger. The market asked for a scope that could withstand the rigors of combat and extreme hunting while still being ultra-reliable. Take a fall with a 1" scope and the same fall with a 34mm scope and I can guarantee that the 34mm scope will withstand the impact better. Of course everything has a limit, so please don't wax eloquent about how you fell down the side of a mountain and your Nightforce was trashed so I obviously don't know what I am talking about. Physics is physics. Something that is bigger in diameter can withstand bending and crushing stresses better than something that is smaller in diameter. Add extra thickness to it and it is even better.
So, now that we have established why they make them bigger in diameter and thicker (therefore adding weight), you now also need to add extra glass diameter and bigger internals, also adding weight. And those internals have to be able to withstand the extra abuse that may be placed on them now that the tube is more robust.
All-in-all it isn't hard to see how an extra 10-15 oz can get added between a "standard" scope and a "premium" scope.