This question has had a longer life than I would have thought, lots of interesting responses but no real answer yet.

I should have been a bit more specific in scope specifications - I was thinking of a Hunting Scope, 1 inch tube, in a common magnification range such as 3-9x40, like a Leupold VX-2 or Bushnell 3200, Burris FF, etc, not asking it to be a dialing scope but simply a scope that tracks and responds to adjustments properly. So using that is a basis for the question I still am not seeing an answer.

'I understand that a thicker aluminum tube may be more resistant to bending or bumping damage but dialing and tracking are a function of the mechanics of the scope.
If the internals are machined properly and have erector springs heavy enough to assure enough pressure on the erector tube to place and keep it in position how much could this possibly add to the weight of the scope? Even if the adjustment assembly were made slightly larger and the springs slightly larger how much weight could that add? Not more than another ounce or two I would think."

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.