Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would guess some 6.5 Creedmoor shooters are using lighter bullets at higher velocities than the heavier, high-BC bullets the cartridge was original designed for because of the tendency of even "affordable" 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifles to be very accurate, and and the traditional obsession with high muzzle velocity. Not everybody buys a 6.5 Creedmoor these days to shoot 500+ yards.

I would also guess they do this with Creedmoors rather than 6.5 PRCs or 6.5-.284s or 6.5-06s because of those affordable, accurate factory rifles--especially compared to custom rifles. Longer barrel life and lighter recoil might be other reasons.

But apparently that's not the Campfire Way, at least for some members.

I, mostly, load my own ammo in search of accuracy and don't shoot anything except the occasional pdog at ranges over 1/4 mile or so. Within those parameters, I would have been just as well served by my accumulation of 6.5mm bore rifles chambered in 260, 6.5x55, 256 Newton, 6.5-284, and 6.5 REM MAG as by the 6.5 CM. While I've never needed a rifle chambered in 6.5 CM, I'm interested in shooting and being something of a gear guy, I'm usually willing to try something new/different. An undisputed advantage that the 6.5 CM has over my other 6.5mm bore rifles is that there is so much good factory ammo available and so many potentially accurate rifles to choose from all along the price spectrum.

I've shot a lot of 6.5mm component bullets in the 95 to 160 grain range over the past 30+ years and have come to like the balance of accuracy/penetration/velocity of bullets in the 120 to 130 grain range, with particular favorites being the 129 grain Hornadys and 130 grain AB for hunting medium game. Please note that I am not in any way suggesting that my way of doing things is either the best way or the only way, just that it is the way that has worked the best for me within my parameters.