Filaman,

The 270 will shoot 110, 129, 130, 140, and 150 gr bullets fast enough to give 2000+ fps at 450 yards with a wide variety of powders in 22” barrels. Have one.

DanBrothers & Filaman,

I respect your comments but...

I grew up in Oklahoma then moved to western Kansas for my last 2 years of high school. The country was cut up into quarter sections, so there were lots of quarter-mile fences. Many were divided again, so we also had quite a few 220 yard fence rows. As a young boy, my dad’s best friend introduced me to the 6mm Remington. Coyotes tended to travel the fence lines away from the roads. As farmers/ranchers, we drove the country dirt roads and shot a lot of coyotes at the fence lines. Open country in most places with instant range finder fences.

Add 10 yards to make the numbers come out even in my ballistic software, and I come up with 450 yards as my range limit on living things. I know from personal experience that hitting a stationary coyote at 220 yards to a quarter mile takes lots of practice. So I might have years of experience at my personal range limit. There is much more to shooting than projectile ballistics.

While living in Idaho, I practiced regularly out to 600 yards. I’m getting hooked up to shoot paper out to 500 here in Georgia (my own land if the deal goes through).

I like to get close as possible before pulling the trigger. Gut shooting a coyote generally knocks them down for a second shot, if hit hard, they don’t go very far. But gut shoot a deer or larger, and they may change counties on you. It does not hurt to put parameters on one’s shooting in the form of impact velocity, range limits, the type of shot (rest, offhand, prone), and whether the game is moving or stationary. NONE of my personal parameters means that I’m not ethical or not experienced. My limit might be 450 yards but my normal shots might be 100 or less.

Many of us that ask questions on 24CF do so to gain from other people’s experiences. Just because we ask a question, it does NOT mean that we lack experience, lack ethics, don’t set reasonable range limits, or don’t practice shooting on a regular basis.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.