Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have wondered how a 6.5 SAUM would do within the COAL limits of a short action. I thought that when the SAUM and WSM cartridges were introduced that they would supersede the 284 as the cases of choice to maximize powder capacity in a short action, but they seem to have fallen into disfavor among wildcatters.

My 6.5 Saum comfortably shoots the 129 grain ABLR a little over 3200 fps at a COAL of 2.825”. That’s the only bullet I’ve tried in it and I’ve enjoyed hunting it this fall and have killed 7 whitetails with it ranging from 30 to 200 yards

Given my longest shot opportunity is under 450 I’m considering switching to the 120 ttsx as a I haven’t gotten exits on a couple of the (not particularly big) deer I’ve shot with the 129 ablr (though they all died)

Again not wanting to hijack SRF's thread but how did those 129 ABLRs that failed to exit hold up? I have heard many reports of these being quite fragile. I got 200 of them in .270 to play with before I heard about the "failures", just assuming they would hold together like a normal accubond - I've yet to hunt with them.

Thanks,
Rex

Did not do an autopsy as the deer went straight to the processor without even being gutted. It is worth noting though that I’ve caught other bullets before and found them under the hide on the off side of the deer. Tried to do that in these cases and could not locate the bullet (2 of the 7 - the other 5 exited). Does that mean it was fragmented or didn’t make it there? I have no idea. The deer were very dead so clearly it worked. But it was enough for me to think about a tougher bullet given my land and maximum shot of under 450 yards and most under 250. I’m looking forward to trying the 120 TTSX at warp speed