Originally Posted by Seafire
... after playing with it, and hunting with it... I never built a 35 Whelen... just saw it duplicating the 338/06...

so that is why I would go 338/06... my original motivation was the bullet selection from Hornady..

If I had built the 35 Whelen first.... then I would never had built a 338/06....

not enough difference between either to pick one over the other...

+ 1.

In my case, I bought a Whelen on a whim 'cause of all the nostalgic tales here on the 'Fire, & I found a smokin' deal on one. Turns out the rifle handled like a dream, & shot extremely well. It whacked hogs hard, & took a nice Shiras moose for me.

Later on, I found a sporterized Mauser in .338-06. Even a small amount of range time found it to be the equivalent of the Whelen at the distances I shoot, and the rifle itself didn't handle nearly as well as the Whelen. Accordingly, that Mauser went down the road.

I've seen it opined that if one wanted to truly step up from a .30 cal, it would make more sense to just go up to a .375 H&H. I dunno that I'd necessarily disagree.

As it is, I really don't see myself hunting anything necessitating the Whelen anymore, and its recoil with 250's is the very most I'd ever want to endure. Practicality says I should sell it & let someone else experience its joys, but it just shoots too well to leave the safe.

In summary - flip a coin: you're the only one you've got to please.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC