Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Let’s say a fellow with more than a passing interest in rifles desired a hunting rifle in a caliber greater than the classic .30

Considering the availability of both .30-06 parent brass and actions, something descended from the grand .30-06 seems a good idea.

.35 Whelen and .338-06 both seem like good options.

Which would you choose and why? If your answer is something else, then why that instead?

My answer is based upon the assumption that you’re a hand loader, and like versatility in your selection. Both have their advantages. With the .338 caliber, there is a large selection of bullets available both in weights and construction. The .35, while having a pretty fair selection as compared to 20 or so years ago .....still can’t complete with the .338. With velocities being very similar, a slight edge may go to to .35.....simply due to increased bullet diameter. In my mind, the biggest advantage of the .35 is it’s ability to shoot handgun bullets. Loading and shooting the handgun bullets, at slightly elevated handgun velocities, allow you to get a lot, of lower cost, lower recoil, year round practice with the firearm you will be hunting with in the fall! Or.....you could start casting Bullets for the .338, and accomplish the same thing! 🤔 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024