Originally Posted by whitebread
I'm a bit late to the party, but my two primary hunting rifles are chambered in 338-06 and 35 Whelen, both built on a 700 action. I intended for the rifles two have two different purposes, but in reality, they have a lot of overlap. I have shot many deer with both rifles and both put them down without much trouble, and all projectiles have exited the deer. 225 grain TTSX's in the 338-06 and 250 grain partitions in the Whelen. Subjectively, I find the 338-06 has a bit sharper recoil. Six of one, half dozen of the other. It's just splitting hairs - you can't go wrong with either.

Ignore the 300 win mag in the background.
Middle is the 338-06, intended for general woods hunting.
Front is the 35 Whelen, intended for thick woods and when I finally get a moose tag.

[Linked Image from brusabass.com]

Edit: I can think of one advantage for the 338-06...338 caliber suppressors are easy to find. I've never come across a 35 caliber (or larger) suppressor that wasn't a 50-cal specific suppressor. (But I chose to build a 338 Federal for use with a suppressor instead of the 338-06.)

Well, save the best for last do you speak. Those are fantastic looking rifles, and I’m sure every one a shooter.

I decided to go with 35 Whelen as the donor rifle I found is a Rem 700 with a post-factory shortened barrel to 19”. Mu thinking was the 35 Whelen was probably a marginally better choice for a shorter barrel.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 02/28/20.