JPK

You'll note I didn't say that it wasn't effective nor that it hasn't been used successfully throughout it's history. I am not arguing against the 458 W.; I am merely telling you what Wieland wrote in his book and what has been repeated often times before. I'm not even arguing the validity of what has been written, just stating that what atkinson stated has been "commonly reported"; whether urban myth or not.

I can say that it influenced me to build mine a Lott. But note that I also stated that "while those here who have used the 458 W. effectively have experience that cannot be denied" immediately after I stated I have no experience with it.

I have to admit that 10k ele's certainly should be statistically significant but it does not necessarily completely rule out design flaws. And again, I'm not saying it has them but this is about discussing rationally the merits of a cartridge and its "growth" over time with new and better components as implied in the thread's title against this "history" of failing - according to some - to be what it was advertised to be at its inception.

I enjoy this gentlemen because of what I learn here.

Gdv