Indy,

I didn't find it hard to cripm the cartidges but it takes a little time and effort to msake them pretty. Trimming to a consistent length seemes to be the key.

All,

I don't want to get into a pissing match but the NF's are a truncated cone design, which I think is a key to penetration. I know, after testing, that they outpenetrate the round noses by a good 40%, On the other hand I also believe that the wet news print test are just plain inaccurate. Wet newsprint tears with a "high velocity" cartridge shooting round noses - such as the 458 - but it cuts with a slow "wad cutter" so the data is meaningless for game. No data on a fast, relatively heavy (450gr .458" and 2200fps or there abouts) wadcutter! But real life experience says a steel jacketted 500gr round nose, SD .341, at 2025fps will do the job and that a lighter 450gr flatnose with a SD of .305 - such as the NF - at slightly higher velocity will do the job better.

I do not think that hard cast lead will reliably hold together at velocities proven repeatedly sufficient for elephants. Elephant heads are not news print and they are not flesh either.

BTW, I have never had a roundnose solid veer from a straight line though I have seen plenty of evidence that they tumble - but only when they have lost a great portion of their velocity in the game and already done their jobs.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05/30/07.