Originally Posted by jwp475

[Quote] by LPK
JWP475,

Unfortunately, a .458", 500gr roundnose steel jacketed solid at 1900fps is not sufficient for reliable penetration on elephants. It is barely enough on Cape Buffalo which are in a different league bone structure wise than our American Bison. Effective, reliable performance of 500gr roundnose steel jacketed solids on elephants starts at about 2000fps, maybe 2025fps, and goes up from there.
[Quote]

I can not speak from experience,but a Gentleman in New Orleans,La.has killed many Bull Elephant. He has killed them with big bore rifles and with the 50 Cal. revolvers with a 450 grain steel tipped hardcast bullet.He has stated that the revolver give him adequate penetration on frontal brain shots.Based on his experience I find it hard to fathom that a 45 cal. 500 grain solid at 1900 FPS is suddenly inadequate. I am I wrong? The 500 grain is a higher SD bullet than the 50 cal. 435 grain and 650 FPS faster as well......[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Time and experience have shown that a .458" roundnose steel jacketed solid at 1900fps is not reliable for use on elephants. Likewise, it seems that about 2025fps is reliable. I do not doubt that loads running 1900fps have from time to time killed elephants but they are not reliable since a given brain shot may require little penetration - as when the elephant has its head down - or great penetration - as when it has its head up. Further not every shot will avoid the tusk socket or tusk.

If you would like to read more on the topic, try looking at African-hunter.com for some of the articles available there.

Another point, flat nose mono solids outperform roundnose solids. I do not know if the flat nose advantage reduces the required velocity for reliable penetration for use on elephants. My own flat nose mono solid load shoots a 450gr bullet at 2190fps, faster than my 2135fps current 500gr round nose load.

JPK