While elk hunting in New Mexico, I found that I preferred a friends 3X9 over my own 2X7. I liked the extra magnification in that type of terrain. As for southern Indiana, fixed power scopes seem to work because 150 yards is a long shot and rarely do you get one over 200. Most of my deer are killed in the woods under 50 yards. West of the Mississippi, things are a lot different.
I have found that in the woods, deer can slip up on you almighty fast(bucks chasing does), and there have been times I have struggled to pick them up in a 4 power scope inside 20 yards and this is where a 2X7 or smaller power variable shines. As a matter a fact, I have a Leupold 2X7 I purchased here on the campfire that will be finding a home on my 44 Handi-Rifle.
As for fixed-power scopes, most were purchased or traded for in my younger, newly married days when I didn't have a lot of disposable income. I mounted them on whatever firearms I was using at the time while dreaming of all the expensive, variable scopes I would someday own. In the meantime, I found that most filled my needs admirably and didn't need replaced. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 on my 243. Every time I've killed something with it, which is a lot of stuff, I usually find that the scope is set on 6 power. The Leupold 4X on the AR carbine is a trapline rifle that rides mostly on a fourwheeler in all kinds of weather. Shots are fast and usually not over 150 yards, so that combo works for me. All of my larger caliber centerfires (06's, 270's Swede) wear Leupold variables but I love my fixed power scopes too and use them accordingly.
I was taught that when it comes to rifle scopes, buy the best that you can afford. That was good advice. My ways aren't the best and may not be for everyone but they work for me.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 02/17/20.