Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I guess what you started with has a big influence on your preferences. I started shooting .22’s with open sights as a kid. Got pretty good at it. My first deer rifle had a peep sight. Most beginners now start with a scope and have no idea how well it is possible to shoot with a peep sight. I was a very experienced shooter and hunter before I got my first scope. By today’s standards it was low powered. As I got more financially mature, I hunted more widely and internationally. I’m not a long range shooter, but I have killed a lot of game between 200-300 yards with a fixed six. My longest shot was an Ibex in Kyrgyzstan at 305 yards. Five years ago I killed a Kudu in Africa at 240 yards with a Leupold 3X. I have never felt I needed more magnification. And I love the relative mechanical simplicity and aesthetics of fixed power scopes on my classic rifles.

As a fixed scope user and advocate I'm still trying to figure out if this applies to me. I started hunting small and large game with the bead on the end of my bird and bunny shotgun. I have three rifles that I use for most of my hunting. They are a 6x42, a 4x33, and a 3-9x40. I'd swap out the 3-9x40 for another 6X I have lying around, but it shoots so well that I don't want to mess with it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.